PROJECT EXPERIENCE - GEOCHEMICAL PROJECTS
The following is a representative list of HydroGeo's experience in geochemical related projects:
Back to Top
- TETRA TECH, INC., BLM, AND AGRIUM, INC., HUSKY 1 NORTH DRY RIDGE PHOSPHATE MINE, EIS, Caribou County, Idaho. - Senior advisor on groundwater and surface water work and development of a numeric groundwater flow model (MODFLOW-NWT) and contaminant transport model (UZF-MT3DMS) for an EIS. (In Progress)
- COEUR ROCHESTER, INC., ROCHESTER MINE EXPANSION PROJECT, Humboldt County, Nevada. - Prepared a Hydrogeologic and Geochemical Technical Report for Buena Vista Valley Playa and Rochester and Packard Mines and assisted in completion of groundwater flow model in support of the Project permitting. (In Progress)
- KINROSS GOLD USA, KETTLE RIVER OPERATIONS, Washington. - Developed numerical ground water flow and contaminant transport model using MODFLOW and MT3DM codes. The model was used to assess potential hydrologic impacts at the Kettle River Tailing Facility and Key Mill Site and to evaluate AKART remediation methods.
- KINROSS GOLD USA, KETTLE RIVER OPERATIONS, Washington. - Developed Completed updated hydrogeology studies and AKART remediation analyses for the K2 and Lamefoot Gold mines as part of permit requirements for the WDEQ.
- COEUR ROCHESTER, ROCHESTER MINE, Nevada. - Completed a numerical ground water flow and contaminant transport model (MODFLOW & MT3DM) of the mine area to evaluate the extent at current and future contaminant plumes, and to assess the best available technology to remediate the site.
- COEUR ROCHESTER, ROCHESTER MINE, Nevada. - Completed A-K risk assessments for numerous leaks and spills on the mine sites to meet the requirement s of the NDEP. The analysis included making a geochemical characterization of the affected soils and ground water and assessment the potential risks of the event to local surface and ground water resources as well as wildlife and human exposures.
- TRC MARIAH, AND BLM, JONAH AND SOUTH PINEY PROJECTS, Sublette County, Wyoming. - Completed Ground water modeling (MODFLOW) and watershed modeling studies using the Kinematic Runoff and Erosion Model (KINEROS2), developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). These studies were used to access potential environmental impact for surface water sections of two Environmental Impact Statements, for the Pinedale field office of the BLM.
- ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORPORATION, Carbon County, Wyoming. - Completed a Surface Water Technical Report for the Hanna Draw Coalbed Natural Gas Pilot Project. The study analyzed potential flow and chemical (salinity) changes to Seminoe Reservoir and the North Platte River resulting from project operations and cumulative impacts from other area projects using a site specific mixing model developed by the EPA.
- BARRICK GOLDSTRIKE MINES, BETZE-SCREAMER PIT, Nevada - Reviewed the TRC geochemical pit lake model for Betze-Screamer Pit.
- BARRICK GOLDSTRIKE MINE, Nevada - Geochemical modeling of sorption and mineral precipitation/ dissolution reactions for the Betze-Screamer Pit Lake. Particular emphasis was placed on modeling the sorption behavior of arsenic to precipitating ferrihydrite using the program PHREEQC and a modified MINTEQA2 thermodynamic database.
- LAC MINERALS U.S.A., ORTIZ MINE, New Mexico - Developed a predictive geochemical model for the Ortiz Pit Lake. Equilibrium methods were used to identify and constrain geochemical controls of the pit lake water composition. The model incorporated humidity cell, acid-base accounting, XRD, microprobe and limnologic data to estimate the long-term water quality. Chemical profiles were developed from samples collected at various depths to investigate the potential for stratification of the lake.
- LAC MINERALS U.S.A., COLISEUM MINE, California - Developed a predictive geochemical model for closure of the Coliseum Pit Lake. The model used equilibrium methods to identify and constrain geochemical controls of pit lake water quality, and incorporated humidity cell, acid-base accounting, and whole rock geochemical data. Chemical profiles were developed to investigate the potential for stratification of the lake.
- ECHO BAY MINERALS COMPANY, KEY WEST MINE, Washington - Developed a predictive geochemical model for the Key West Pit Lake. Equilibrium methods were used to identify and constrain geochemical controls of pit lake water quality. The study incorporated humidity cell, acid-base accounting, and whole rock geochemical data.
- ECHO BAY MINERALS COMPANY, KEY MILL AND TAILING FACILITY, Washington - Developed a predictive geochemical model for the Key Mill and Tailings Facility. The study incorporated seepage and attenuation tests and modeling to determine the transport and fate of cyanide in the case of leaks or spills at the facility. Results of the study were incorporated into the record of decision from the BLM and WDOE.
- ECHO BAY MINERALS COMPANY, KEY MILL AND TAILING FACILITY, Washington - Hydrochemical analysis and impact assessment of expansion of the Kettle River Tailings Facility and other potential sources of contamination at the Key Mill Site.
- HECLA MINING COMPANY, ROSEBUD MINE, Nevada - Performed a hydrogeologic characterization of the project area, and evaluated the potential impacts to ground water quality from underground mining. Predictions for post-mining water quality were made based on equilibrium modeling and kinetic data. The final report was included as an appendix to the Environmental Assessment (EA).
- MINERA ALUMBRERA, ALUMBRERA PROJECT, Argentina - Developed predictive geochemical model for post-mining flooding of the Alumbrera Open Pit.
- SOUTHERN PERU COPPER CORPORATION, Peru - Reviewed and audited surface and ground water monitoring network for Toquapala and Cuajone mines, and SPCC smelter and port facilities. Presented short courses for design of ground water monitoring networks, ground water modeling, and geochemical modeling.
- COEUR ALASKA, KENSINGTON MINE, Alaska - Reviewed existing studies and data to characterize hydrologic conditions for the Kensington underground mine. Mine dewatering and water handling recommendations were made, and a geochemical evaluation was performed to evaluate the potential long term water quality in the mine.
- CANYON RESOURCES, BRIGGS PROJECT, Nevada - Developed Standard Operating Procedures Manual for ground water and surface water sampling the mine. Performed statistical analysis of water quality data to determine the Constituents of Concern (COC's) to which the mine is regulated.
- ECHO BAY MINERALS, LAMEFOOT MINE, Washington - Statistical analysis and characterization of ground water quality.
- TENNECO MINERALS, GOLDSTRIKE MINE, Utah - Characterized the spatial distribution of trace metals in relation to structural features and ore-grade gold mineralization in the Humbolt Pit. The study included the design and implementation of the sampling program and a statistical analysis of trace metal correlation with gold.
- MINERA HECLA, LA CHOYA MINE, Mexico - Designed and supervised sampling program for waste rock and spent ore to characterize material for site closure. Analytical laboratories in Hermosillo Mexico were evaluated for their ability to perform meteoric water mobility tests, acid-base accounting, and rinse down detoxification tests. A review of the existing geochemical data was performed to determine adequacy for mine closure.
- MINERA YANACOCHA, LA QUINUA PIT, Peru - Performed mixing and pH calculations for pit dewatering discharge and receiving surface waters.
- SOCIEDAD CONTRACTUAL MINERA EL ABRA, Chile - Third party review and hydrogeologic/geochemical characterization study for 180 mt ROM Dump Leach facility. Project work included the review of previous hydrologic studies and the development of an integrated hydrogeologic model for the site. Leaching and attenuation studies for substrate materials were also performed using synthetic PLS. The main focus of the study was for permitting of the facility and to determine potential impacts to down stream users.